[Wine] Notepad appends ".txt" to file names it looks for

Walter Dnes waltdnes at waltdnes.org
Thu Sep 4 00:00:41 CDT 2008

  The program I'm using is 4NEC2, a freeware antenna-modelling program.
I'm running wine-0.9.61 on Gentoo Linux on a Dell with Intel Core Duo
cpu.

  Let's say I'm working on a design that I call "fubar".  4NEC2 will
create files with names like "fubar.NEC" and "fubar.log".  4NEC uses
Notepad to open the files for viewing.  For some reason, my system
always seems to try opening them as "fubar.NE.txt" and "fubar.lo.txt".
The last character of the extension is deleted, and ".txt" is appended.

  When it tries to open files with these weird names, the result is a
"File not found" error.  Is there any way I can set Notepad not to be so
"helpful"?  As a second option, 4NEC2 allows to specify another text
editor.  Is there an "Edit" equivalant for Wine, or can Wine launch
linux programs like vim or nano?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>