[Wine] what is wine good for?

dAnIK SeNT dsent at mail.ru
Mon Sep 8 16:27:43 CDT 2008

Hi, jagerhans.

On the contrary, I have succeed with all Windows applications that I tried to
use with Wine. Of course, it took maybe some days to get used to it for the
first time, to tweak it and make up some helper scripts, etc. I've ended up
installing each program into different wine prefix, and maintaining a few
specifically hacked version of wine binaries for the couple of most
irritating applications, because each fresh Wine version, while providing
some new functionality and fixing bugs, inevitable breaks something else.
It's really OK for such a big project, and if you want stability - you should
just use separate Wine binaries for each application as I do (with some help
of simple bash automation scripts), or install frontend like PlayOnLinux
which do it for you, or just pay to Codeweavers for professional support
(which I also did just to show my appreciation of their work, because I don't
use Crossover, being happy with raw Wine).

Really, I receive 0 (zero) wine-related errors or stability issues with my
packages. Not a single hang, black screen, or something like that in my
production environment. It works extremely well. Not just for a couple of
games (Diablo II, Dungeon Siege II, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
and Luxor 3 to be precise). Not just for simple lightweight applications
(like IrfanView, UltraISO, AceMoney, mp3DirectCut, rapget, WinHEX and WinRAR
that you don't like so much - if you don't use it's advanced functionality -
ok, but that does not mean that everyone also must restrict themselves to
poor native archivers with mighty command line switches and crippled unusable
GUIs). But most important of all is that I use wine for some Windows-only
productivity and ERP software. And I use it at office for production-critical
tasks. 6 months - and I still have my job, that does mean something :-)

Of course, in my testing prefixes, where I examine each new development
version of Wine and some weird GIT versions, there is no such thing as
stability :-) But I think it's fair :-)

Sorry for my English - it's not perfect, I know, but I hope that my message is
clear nevertheless, and it's "stop trolling and do something useful" ;-)

--
Best regards,
Sentiabov Danila aka dAnIK SeNT
dsent at mail.ru