[Wine] Re: Game Locking Up Due to Sound?

Shmirly Whirl wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 12 19:20:32 CDT 2008

Well, thank you vitamin. Looking at that resource gave me the answer.

To save you some time, here is the post that helped me (and I am not trying to take credit for this):

Hello all,

First I want to say that I am amazed at what Wine can do. My last hurdle in Linux was games. I wanted to expand on the instructions that the OP gave. I run Kubuntu 8.04 on a Compaq Presario SR2150NX also called an unbranded HP TS-XN0512RS with an Nvidia 8600 GT. I am using the digital download of Stalker from Direct2Drive. Wine 1.0.0

step by step of how I got stalker running, thanks to the guys here:
-installed Stalker using wine, just had to double click the .exe
-installed the latest Stalker patch
-found the shortcut on my desktop, right clicked the shortcut to edit it, clicked the Application tab, added the following at the end of the Command -dsound -nodistort -nointro
example:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/comp222/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\XR_3DA.exe" -dsound -nodistort -nointro
-I then created a text file in gedit/text editor and named it stalker.reg
-I copy/pasted the following line into stalker.reg, this should all be 1 line

REGEDIT4 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D] "DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl" "OffscreenRenderingMode"="backbuffer" "PixelShaderMode"="enabled" "UseGLSL"="disabled" "VertexShaderMode"="hardware" "VideoMemorySize"="256"

-Save the file
-I then opened the command line or terminal and typed regedit
-Press Enter
-Click Registry
-I then chose the Export option to make a backup of my current registry
-I then clicked Import and selected the stalker.reg and clicked Open
-Closed the registry

In addition, I also changed my sound settings to ALSA in KDE System Settings/Sound System though I don't know if that was needed.

-I then opened the command line or terminal and typed winecfg
-Press Enter
-Click Audio
-Changed Hardware Acceleration to Emulation, I don't know if Driver Emulation needs to be checked also

-I then started Stalker using the Shortcut on my desktop that I edited previously
-In Stalker I changed my resolution to 1680x1050 to match my widescreen display/desktop resolution
-As someone mentioned in this thread, Scroll Lock pauses/unpauses

Thanks for helping guys.