[Wine] Cannot use PREFIX with wine 1.1.4

GNU_Raziel wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 15 07:48:52 CDT 2008

I've decided to try out some games with wine 1.1.4 to see if there is improvements (mainly with Bioshock) and, as always, I first created a prefix for those tests.

My first surprise was this message :

Code:

Note: wineprefixcreate is deprecated and shouldn't be needed anymore.
         WINEPREFIX creation and updates now happen automatically when needed.

So I said : "it's just a note, no need to panic since wineprefixcreate seems to work correctly".

But then I was affaid to see that EVERY app I tried to install crash for sure, no matter what it is !!!

Example of what i done and worked for long ago :

Code:

wineprefixcreate --prefix /home/raziel/test/
WINEPREFIX=/home/raziel/test/ wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe

I checked the test folder, it have all the folders/files a prefix must have !!

And before someone say : "YOU have a problem, it's not wine fault" may I add that after saving my whole main prefix I saw that, this the default prefix, all work like a charm, no crash when i try to install.

Many users, including me, love the possibility to create a separated prefix when and where we want so don't tell me wine 1.1.4 and newer will lack CORE/EXTREMLY USEFULL this feature ??!!!

If yes, I do not fear to say this is a great mistake and hope dev will fix/reactivate this feature as soon as possible !!

If it's a bug then now ou know it and hope it will be fixed as soon as possible.