[Wine] Autocad 2008 and wine

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 07:37:06 CDT 2008

2008/9/18 Grof <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
> This is your text, or you copied them from Autodesk forums??

My own words. I am unfamiliar with the AutoCAD forums, I am more into
Solidworks.

> Why I ask? Because Autodesk implement the newest Microsoft's
> technologies as .NET 3.0 and they do not want to downgrade products
> only for reasons like working on Wine...

Of course they will not rewrite the software in another technology.
However, had they known that running AutoCAD in Wine was important,
they might not have switched to .NET 3.0 before it runs in Wine.
Likewise, if you start letting them know _now_ that there is demand
for AutoCAD on Linux, then in the future they won't switch from .NET
3.0 to .NET 4.0 before it runs in Wine.

> I vote for that (working acad under Wine direct from Autodesk), but I do
> not believe that will be happen!

It won't happen anytime soon. But if we start letting them know now
that we need Linux support, future versions may well run in Wine when
they see that as a viable market.

Don't forget, every software manufacturer that releases Linux- or
Wine- compatible software sets precedent for the others. It also helps
more people move to Linux, which is a snowball effect.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il