[Wine] How to make Garmin see Garmin?

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Sep 22 15:18:25 CDT 2008

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:49:36 -0500, vitamin wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:

>> > Why the ttyS0? Is it really serial port? If it's USB->Serial, then it
>> > should be ttyUSB0.
>> >

>> 	Yes, it really is, precisely because of these cables; my
>> experience with the little conversion gadgets has not been encouraging.
>

> You didn't answer the question. Are you really connecting this device to
> a serial port on your PC? Or a USB port?

	Sorry, I thought I did. The end of the cable at the PC has
several pins in a trapezoid, and screws on both sides; it's also several
times bigger than a USB port, and by no means flat.

	To use it (rarely, but sometimes) with a T42 Thinkpad, which I
bought without realizing it lacked a *serial* port, I had to buy a
special card, which has a very short cable like an ethernet cable plug at
one end, and a gadget with pins and screws on the other.

	This is the only hardware that works, even under windows. Even if
you add a device to *adapt* it to a USB port, it FAILS.

	SERIAL OR NOTHING, PHYSICALLY, is ALL I can use.

	Yes, I know, there are plenty of GPSs nowadays that not only use
USB, but do it by design. The newest of mine are several years older than
the earliest of those, cost me hundreds of dollars that I no longer have,
and still work plenty well enough for my purposes. What's more, they're
sturdy enough to keep in a shirt pocket even while hunting.

	So I don't replace them. So I am absolutely stuck with a *serial*
port, and only a serial port. s-e-r-i-a-l -- hard to credit, perhaps, but
true.

	I don't think USB had been invented when I bought the etrex; and
even when I got the rino, the only cable *made* for it (bought from
Garmin) had and still has a *serial* plug on the computer end.

	The software on the computer does color; *all* the GPSs are
monochrome only -- no color GPS displays had reached the market.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3