[Wine] How to make Garmin see Garmin?

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Tue Sep 23 15:20:37 CDT 2008

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:53:41 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:
	[...]
> 	The only hardware browser I've been able to find is called lshw,
> with lshw-gui; I fired it up on this machine, read through everything
> line by line, and found the word "serial" only in contexts where it
> meant "serial number."
>
> 	Other than the difference between serial and USB, everything I
> know about hardware would go comfortably in a gnat's eye. What am I
> looking for?
>
> 	Is it possible for a machine with only one physical serial
> connector to have multiple serial ports? I thought a port was a physical
> thing, like an ethernet port, a telephone line port, or a VGA connector
> -- a male or female object of a certain shape and number of connectors,
> like a power cord/plug.

	Just out of excessive optimism, I dug out the old adapter for
using serial cables with a USB port; plugged first the etrex cable and
then the rino one, through it, into a USB port. Neither became visible to
the software, with or without the transfer option in the Preferences set
to ignore Garmin devices on serial ports. <sigh>