[Wine] Re: Wine has stopped working

ezacharyk wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 24 06:30:57 CDT 2008

Forester wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Question 1
>
> Once upon a time you installed Warcraft2 etc under an old version of Wine under Ubuntu 7.10.  These were installed under ~/.wine.  You had a go at installing Flash CS3 there too.  When this failed, where you still able to run your games ?

No. None of my games worked anymore. Nothing would start. Not the configure wine or uninstall wine apps.

Forester wrote:

> Question 2
>
> You have since upgraded Wine and Ubuntu and then Wine again.  What, if anything have you done with your .wine directory ?

I didn't do anything to the .wine directory.

Forester wrote:

> Often, in these situations, folks are advised to delete their .wine directory and reinstall everything.
>
> Suggestion 1
>
> Rename .wine to .wine.bad or something.  Start Wine.  If it looks okay, then try installing one of your old games (pick one that the AppDB claims works well with the version of Wine you are using).
>
> If that works, then you probably had best delete your old .wine directory and reinstall everything.  You may want to copy data files out of the old .wine into the new .wine,  if ego and noddle permit.
>
> Suggestion 2
>
> Make a backup copy of your .wine directory before you try to install Flash CS3 again or follow any instructions "as best you can".

Now, I tried renaming the .wine directory, but the wine option in my application list still shows all the games I installed. Even after uninstalling wine and deleting the directory, the games still show up under that app list. Is that supposed to happen? Am I deleting the wrong .wine folder? The one I deleted was in my /home folder. That is the only one I could find.