[Wine] It gets worse (was Re: How do you make wine do real uninstalls? )

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed Sep 24 17:16:49 CDT 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:57:59 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
	[....]
>> 	Another try, another failure. All four were still in the
>> uninstaller. After logging out and back in. (They were, at least, *not*
>> offered under programs any more.)
>>
>> 	Rebooting -- the last ditch. Stay tuned.
>
> 	The cat came back. Even after a reboot, wine uninstaller *still*
> thinks those four things are there.

	Thinking that at least the absence of any offerings from wine >
programs meant something, I put TopoUSA2008 into a USB DVD drive plugged
directly into the same machine (the Thinkpad30, which has a serial port,
and runs F8). I told it to install. It gave me a choice of remove or
repair -- *not* install. Having tried repair last time it did that, and
failed, I told it remove. It started showing a graph telling how much it
was *adding*.

	I used the workspace switcher to go to a terminal (already open),
did uname -a, went back -- and it froze. I force-killed it and tried
again. This time it finished quickly, telling me it had *repaired* the
app. But it demanded adobe, so I force-killed it again. It's not in the
program listing -- there is none.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3