[Wine] Re: Network Scanning

sveijk wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 25 10:35:00 CDT 2008

vitamin wrote:

> sveijk wrote:
> > If only it would work with SANE, life would be a lot sweeter..
> >
> > Know i'm thinking a long way out the box here, but going to fiddle and will report back if I have any progress.
>

> Wine does not support any hardware drivers. That also includes printer / scanner drivers. There is just no infrastructure in place for them.

Indeed this is true, but it's not really hardware (Eh? I hear you exclaiming) It's actually a network device, and wine stuff will easily talk to a network device.  As already stated the control program is quite happily talking to the scanner whilst running under wine.

If this had its own scanning utility using the driver directly, I'd leave it at that, as I would be able to get pics into my machine, but it doesn't.

Looking back at some very very old forums it turns out that people used to use their old scsi and parallel scanners under wine.  The problem for me at the moment is if I try to implement a wine TWAIN, it automatically trys to connect me to scanners in SANE.

I cannot work out how to tell it not to, and use the windows twain_32.dll, as it isn't in the listed libraries.  Guessing it must work though, as it's exactly what people were doing back in 1999 with older non-USB scanners

ho hum the journey continues....

(mind I never been defeated by a bit of hardware yet!)[/i]