[Wine] Interesting EverQuest overlay performance

rsnow wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 25 16:47:29 CDT 2008

First off, a big thank you to the Wine team for you efforts over the years.  I haven't booted my Windows partition in over two months and am actually considering reclaiming the partition for something useful.

I was playing around with Wine+EverQuest trying to see how fast I could get my EverQuest session to run the last couple of days.  I had been through all the fun NVIDIA bits related to xorg.conf and mucked around a WINEPREFIX'ed wine with the registry all to no real avail and it mostly stays at ~50% CPU when set to 30fps and the CPU is linearly correlated to the FPS, mostly without regard to resolution (tried 800x600 and 1400x1050).

On a lark, I pressed the F11 key, which hides the small "lag-o-meter" in the upper right hand corner and to my surprise I immediately dropped my CPU load by 10%.  Continuing on this finding I pressed the F10 key, which turns off the UI elements and leaves only the 3D visible, and this dropped it another ~10-15%!

Imagine my surprise when all my mucking around in config files was futile and a simple F10 + F11 key press lowered by CPU usage by ~50%, from ~50% to ~25%.

So to my question, is this a known and wide reaching issue or is this peculiar to EverQuest's method of doing the overlays?  If not, it would seem that some work here might pay high dividends with respect to 3D gaming performance and to that end, is this worthy of a bugzilla entry?