[Wine] single wineserver process on multiple session environment

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Sat Sep 27 05:20:15 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 7:28 AM, tjandracom <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> is it possible to run only one wineserver process on multiple session?
>
> i set up an ubuntu server as terminal server (using xdmcp and/or xrdp), so multiple user could run their own session on this server (remotely) from other linux or windows clients. there is one apps that run under wine.
> but the number of wineserver process running is the same as the number of users logged in to this terminal server.
>
> there's no problem with it actually, but i just wondering if i could reduce the wineserver process running, maybe i could save several hundreds MB of memory, and speed it up a little bit. :D

You might be able to use some tricks...

Something that allows you to start a central session in which you run
wine, with the user-visible Wine executable set to run Wine in that
session, passing the correct DISPLAY, etc might be possible... It will
be bad for security...

GNU screen might be able to do that... If a user connects, SSH in as
the Wine user, check if the screen exists, if it exists, run Wine in
it (after setting DISPLAY), if not create it and run Wine in it....
Wine should probably be ran in background that the user can disconnect
from the screen that a next user can use it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen

I have not used Screen yet, but this seems like a decent use for it....

Note: The potential method described here are theoretical and was not
tested. It is probably VERY bad for security and stability....

Gert