[Wine] Silly answers to silly questions for a silly Noob.

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 27 21:18:09 CDT 2008

James Huk wrote:
> 2008/9/23 JDorfler <wineforum-user at winehq.org>
>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> I disagree here - you can try running your apps first - "most" will work
>>
> that way (especially games) - if they won't - reinstall them. Reinstalling
> everything you want to use may lead to unnecessary disk usage - beside, if
> something works without re installation - then what's the point?

If it works?  If you do not install some programs, they do NOT work
properly in Wine as the installer writes information to the current
registry.   Also, I have several working and not so working Wine
prefixes on my system.  Yes, this does take up space, but you CAN use
the same area for user data, which in most cases is the largest use of
space on any hard drive I've ever seen.  I did not state this in my
first reply and that was an oversight.  Please be aware that Linux and
subsequently, Wine, have problems writing files into NTFS directories.

James McKenzie