[Wine] Re: Cannot open file in NTFS filesystem on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Tlarhices wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Sep 28 00:23:42 CDT 2008

jcobban3 wrote:

> This is admittedly only an inconvenience.  Having to copy the file over from its native NTFS to an EXT3 partition just to be able to open it and then to have to copy it back to the NTFS partition once it is updated is work that I would prefer to avoid.  I would have thought that support of files on an NTFS partition would be high on the list of desirable features for a Windows emulator package.  Therefore I would appreciate a more elaborate explanation.

Wine is using the file system driver from your distribution to make it's job. If this driver has a bug or is incomplete wine can't do what you (or your software) are asking it to do.
The fact that you are not able to use your software to access an NTFS partition is due to the fact that your distribution NTFS driver is lacking some functionality.
This has nothing to do with wine, but is a problem in the driver/kernel layer and has been addressed in recent kernel versions.
So wait for a kernel update a compile your own but the wine team can't do anything about it.

If you want to save you to copy files around, create a FAT32 partition, it will be working fine for both OS.