[Wine] Steam problems

zpr wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 3 22:29:55 CDT 2009

For the last couple of days, I have been trying to get Steam working, mainly to play Counter-Strike 1.6 (and other games, with time).

I first tried PlayOnLinux, and that didn't go so well, and neither did Wine-Doors.  Finally, I reverted to using wine without any add-ons and that has seemed to work best.  I am using wine version 1.1.18 on an acer aspire laptop running gentoo 2.6.27-r8 and ati mobility radeon x1600 with xorg-server version 1.5.3-r5.  The drivers I'm using for my ati card are xf86-video-ati and direct rendering is enabled and working.

Steam runs just fine (minus the incredibly long, 5 minute loading time), and CS will even load after I have disabled In-Game community.  However, after about 4 seconds of in-game, it completely freezes my entire computer and I am forced to manually reboot.  I have OpenGL set in video options as Software will not work.

Thanks,
zpr