[Wine] Re: IPX and AMD64 not mixing?

Sephiroth wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Apr 4 18:11:18 CDT 2009

You're right, I wasn't thinking that my common programs like Firefox might not even know what IPX is.  Still, it would be one heck of a sweet setup if it was possible!

As for IPX being superior, it simply is.  The problem is with range.  I don't remember the specifics, but IPX doesn't travel very far for some reason.  I do know that Intel (maybe IBM?) has a buried cable running from an office somewhere in the northwest USA to another office southwest and a state or so away.  Why don't they use the Internet?  They use IPX!  They also have some hardware on that line every so many yards to clean up the signal and send it on its way again.  I imagine it's very expensive, but they want to use IPX for some reason.

I also never tried using the root group before, so I honestly didn't know that it didn't grant root privileges.  I've used Linux for years, but never had this sort of problem before, so I never tried such a bad thing.  Thanks for the information though!