[Wine] Getting a proprietary Win32 application running on Wine

RUMI Szabolcs rumi_ml at rtfm.hu
Mon Apr 6 01:17:12 CDT 2009

Hello!

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 18:03:52 -0700
James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Well, I don't know... How can I tell?
> >
> > I've sniffed on the network with tcpdump and there was some traffic
> > back and forth between the client and the SQL server
>
> You are using SQL Server, correct?  The default is to use Windows
> Authentication, which needs to be changed.  Otherwise, you will get the
> error you received and Wine (as far as I know) does not support this, yet.

Well, yes and no... It's not a full blown MSSQL installation but a
stripped down database engine (MSDE) that was bundled with the Delphi
app so there are no utilities, no controls, no nothing... But!
I've g00gled around to read about the authentication settings of this
thing and I've manually changed the following registry value to "2":

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\<Instance Name>\MSSQLServer\LoginMode

This should have resulted in the SQL server instance being set to
"Mixed" authentication allowing both Windows Authentication and SQL
Authentication. Now the client program starts up and probably tries
to connect, then the following error dialog appears:

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied

On the network I see SYN packets going out to the server and only
RST+ACK packets coming back every time.

I've managed to connect to the SQL server instance locally with OSQL
but if I issue any commands (stored procs etc) nothing seems to happen,
there are no error messages, no nothing.

Now I really don't know how to go any further...

Thanks,

Sab