[Wine] The Rosetta Stone : Installer doesn't work

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Mon Apr 6 23:34:52 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Gert van den Berg <wine-users at mohag.net> wrote:
>> Including a FreeDOS command.com in Wine is probably not a bad idea,
>> presuming that Wine's DOS support is working well enough for it to
>> run... (I've never been able to run any DOS programs under Wine)
>
> It's GPL'ed, Wine is LGPL'ed, the license is incompatible.
>
> If they'd be willing to re-license it, that may be an option...

How about just bundling it? This would require it being used and not linked in..

Like gcc gets bundled with MS SFU...

It can also get installed on request, like Gecko...

IMHO, Wine would need to turn into some kind of distribution
eventually, including the core Wine and some bundled utilities, from
say, ReactOS (explorer), FreeDOS (commnad.com, general DOS
utilities...), etc..

GPLv2 has: (And an actual lawyer probably need to give an opinion...)
(v3's terminology make a quick search hard....)
"In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a
volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other
work under the scope of this License. "

Gert