[Wine] now that i have downloaded

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 7 13:42:13 CDT 2009

rhoxie1 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote on April 7th:

>Ok how do I know which package I downloaded I hope I not over my head with this so far I like
>linux but when you talk deb or compile it scares me

If you downloaded a .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz file, this is source code and must be built into an executable package, commonly called configuring and compiling.  If you downloaded a .rpm file, you downloaded a prebuilt package for RedHat/CentOS/Fedora Linux distributions.  If you downloaded a .deb file, you downloaded a prebuilt package for Debian type Linux distributions.  There are prebuilt packages for Ubuntu, OpenSuse and other Linux distributions as well.  Installing them is somewhat easier than 'rolling your own' but may introduce problems as the build may not take into account packages that you did not install.

I would follow Austing English's advice and get the file from the WineHQ server and install it.

James McKenzie