[Wine] How can we improve WNE?

Warren Dumortier nwarrenfl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 13:46:42 CDT 2009

2009/4/7 fcmartins <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:

> Warren Dumortier wrote:
>>
>> People that do not read warning are dumbs!
>>

> Well, this is quite a over-generalization, really. Most people just want to get on with their own business and don't want to waste time fixing the computer, which most people perceive it should work out of the box (and run windows apps, btw) just as most stuff one buys does. Also, most people feel insecure when it comes to computers, especially when most error messages are actually unreadable, when not misleading. Perfectly reasonable to ignore warnings :-)
>

>> There's only one REAL reason to not include my patch: fix Wine to not
>> have to change those setting, but imo, we're far from such a Wine
>> version and it should be available IMO in Winecfg. Removing it later
>> will be very easy too...
>
> As a user I agree. Just because one day it will work doesn't seem a good excuse not to have it NOW (unless there bugs, side effects, etc). Annoyingly, the last call is to the maintainers :-)

Another problem is that Wine will attract less users if configureing
it is difficult. It is already the case when you want to run programs,
so we really need to improve that.

When users have to edit keys manually and stuff like that, they do not
really like it. People prefer using a graphical way, something that i
understand, so we should make their life easier.

Als explaining things on AppDB for example would be easier than to
explain how to set those keys. It's like users would add dll overrides
in command-line, everybody prefers using Winecfg for that...