[Wine] How can we improve WNE?

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 21:46:58 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:39 PM, man_in_shack <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>> We _already_ allow users to break things, in much worse ways. Try
>> running winecfg and setting the dpi to 480, or set ole32 to native in
>> winecfg and running any builtin application.
>

> Setting old32 to native is possible but difficult via winecfg, and I'd be surprised if a DPI of 480 made apps crash. The point is that these advanced graphical settings would be, at the least, difficult to support.

Not that difficult. DPI of 480 doesn't make apps crash, but unusable.
Try it in a test prefix and see.

>> We allow the same thing for DPI, which has _no_ warning. Now, it has
>> the preview, but for a _long_ time that wasn't the case.
>

> Changing the DPI is not likely to break everything. Changing these "advanced" graphics options is.

Not everything, only graphics stuff. DPI affects just as much, if not
more stuff.

>> > This sounds like you're trying to cater to some kind of fear of education. "Loading regedit and putting in the registry keys manually is too difficult!" Sorry, but that's also the way you have to do it on Windows if you're changing stuff you're not meant to. There are ways around this, like providing pre-written .reg files, but there are at least some cases where this will break, and it would be difficult if not impossible to reliably write .reg files for per-application settings.
>> >

>> Agreed on that.
>>
>> --
>> -Austin
>
> Can we also agree that registry settings for these "advanced' graphics settings are "good enough" for people who "need" them?

No, sorry, disagreed there. I don't think that graphics settings are
any more special than any other wine configuration settings.

--
-Austin