[Wine] wine + fglrx + DRI causes total system lock up

HunicGomes wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Apr 13 09:12:53 CDT 2009

Hi all,

Here is a strange problem. I have recently installed the latest ATI fglrx driver (version 9.3). Everything appears to be fine, except glxgears only works for the root user.

It turns out I was missing the DRI section in my xorg.conf. Once  I added it I can run glxgears with no problem. But now I notice my wine games always crashes the computer (black screen with total lock up, needed to press reset to get going again).

So as an experiment I commented out the DRI section from my xorg.conf and restart, now all my wine apps can start without crashing. But now I can only have 3D as root. Any idea what could be causing this?

The previous version of the fglrx driver I was using (9.1) didn't have this problem. So I think this might be a regression of some sort on the driver. But the rest of the system runs fine with the new driver, only wine has the problem. Is this a problem on the driver or wine?

Distro: Opensuse 10.3, KDE
Fglrx driver: 9.3
Wine: 1.1.19
Wine Apps: Football manager 2008, Tomb raider anniversary (different wine prefix)
CPU: AMD Phenom X4
GPU: 1GB SAPP HD4870