[Wine] Threed32.ocx error wwhen installing VB6 application

MichaelK wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 15 15:16:44 CDT 2009

I am finally migrating from Windows to Ubuntu and I am installing a number of Windows electronics and CAD package using Wine 1.0.1-0 on Ubuntu 8.10. Most run with no issues at all and I am very impressed with Wine. However I am now trying to install AADE Filter, a VB6-based filter design application and I get the following message at the end of the installation process:

C:\Windows\system32\THREED.OCX
Unable to register the DLL/OCX:. LoadLibaray failed; code 126.
Module not found

If I continue the installation anyway the app crashes on startup with an error message that says:

run-time error '339':
Component 'THREED.OCX' or one of its dependancies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

* THREED.OCX is present in the Wine windows\system32 folder. It is identical with the THREED.OCX file on my windows computer.
* I have manually registered the file using regsvr32. Also  tried to first unreg it and the reg it again.
* I have checked with RegEdit that THREED.OCX is in the Registry (under Shared DLLs)
* I have used Winetricks to install Vb6run

What am I missing?
Please help