[Wine] Trying to make a Delphi database application run correctly

Daniel Kasak daniel.kasak at 247realmedia.com
Mon Apr 20 19:34:22 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 08:13 -0500, marcos_antonio_ps wrote:

> If you read my question in the forum listed above you know that I'm trying to run
> a Delphi database application developed in Windows using Wine.

Database apps on Linux. My favourite topic :)

2 points.

Firstly, Borland have a Linux version of Delphi, called Kylix. I bought
Kylix version 1 ( and was pretty disappointed with it to be honest ).
But later versions may have improved. Interestingly, Kylix was mostly
Delphi on wine anyway. I think they've ported more of it to run native
now. If you want to try running under Kylix, email me.

Secondly, if you haven't invested too heavily in Delphi yet, I recommend
checking out my Perl projects: Gtk2::Ex::DBI, Gtk2::Ex::Datasheet::DBI
and PDF::ReportWriter. All are available on CPAN. We website is cactus
at the moment ( story of my life ). All are open-source, cross-platform
libraries that provide a nice environment for building database
front-ends. Speaking from experience, Perl is *way* better than Object
Pascal. Brings back some memories though :)

Dan