[Wine] Wine on MacBook - Linux and OS X problems

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 25 12:03:29 CDT 2009

motorollin wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> This appears to be really interesting as Ubuntu should be using a
>> different driver than MacOSX.
>>

> Indeed. Makes me wonder whether it is actually a hardware incompatibility? Is that possible?

Not incompatible, but poorly written drivers.  My MacBook Pro has an ATI
card in it.  AMD/ATI drivers for Linux are problematic, to put it best.

> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> Have you tried Ubuntu 8.1 native to see
>> if that works?  If that does not work, then this may be an issue to
>> bring up with Apple and Ubuntu.
>>

> No, I haven't tried it yet as it would mean re-downloading the ISO. I'll do that and try it.

Thank you.  Sorry for the duplicate download, but I don't run anything
on my Mac but MacOSX.

> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> Also, did you try XQuartz 2.3.3?  I know that it requires Leopard 10.5.7
>> to install.
>>

> 10.5.7 isn't out yet, so I can't try it.

I will keep on checking.  I've also asked Mike about his plans for
building Wine for MacOSX with this release.
> Will try 8.1 native and report back!

Please do.  If problems continue, please file a report with Ubuntu.

James McKenzie