[Wine] Wine and /home partition woes on Gentoo/amd64

Itzamna wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Apr 27 10:00:39 CDT 2009

I apologize if the question has been posed before, but I did not find any similar posts by browsing or searching through the forums. Here it goes:

I have been using Gentoo Linux for a year now, and never have I had a problem I couldn't solve. However, not long ago I bought a 1 TB hard disk which I divided into 7 partitions: /boot, (swap), /, /var, /tmp, /usr and /home (yes, that's FreeBSD influence right there). When I finished compilation of Wine, I found I could no longer install DirectX. Age of Empires III, Black & White II and Unreal Tournament III wouldn't install either - it wouldn't budge. These are the errors DXSetup produces:

[Image: http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8825/winetricks1.jpg ]

[Image: http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5236/winetricks.jpg ]

(the console only displays a 'status 43' message, I don't even know what the hell that means)

I figure it has to have something to do with permissions, as somehow the program can't write to my /home partition. I fiddled around with /etc/fstab and octal permissions all day, to no avail. This is my current configuration:

Code:

/dev/sda1		/boot		ext2		noauto,noatime	1 2
/dev/sda2		none		swap		sw	0 0
/dev/sda4		/		ext4		noatime	0 1
/dev/sda5		/var		ext4		noatime	0 0
/dev/sda6		/tmp		ext4		noatime	0 0
/dev/sda7		/usr		ext4		noatime	0 0
/dev/sda8		/home	ext4		noatime,users,rw,exec	0 0
/dev/scd0		/mnt/cdrom	auto		noauto,ro	0 0
shm			/dev/shm	tmpfs		nodev,nosuid,noexec	0 0

As you can see, my /home partition and all its subdirectories have full drwxrwxrwx (777) permission. Also, my /home/${user} folder is owned by {user}:{user}.

Wine detects all partitions and drives perfectly:

[Image: http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8273/winetricks2.jpg ]

My Wine version is 1.1.20 (the problem persists after downgrading to stable), my O/S is Gentoo 64-bit (on kernel 2.6.28-r5), I have compiled all emul-linux-x86 libraries, all partitions except for /boot are ext4.

Can anyone help me out? I'm going bald from stress here. Thanks in advance,

Itzamna

P.S.: I have done all the standard fix attempts, like deleting my ~/.wine folder, reemerging wine, installing a different wine version, ..., so please dream up a useful solution.