[Wine] Wine and /home partition woes on Gentoo/amd64

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Apr 27 12:14:28 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 11:36 -0500, Itzamna wrote:

> None of my partitions seem full, so no problems there.

OK

>  The permissions of my /home directory are all drwxrwxrwx or
> -rwxrwxrwx, I can't imagine that's the problem either.

OK

> I don't want to mount /usr with the exec option, as that would be a
> huge security risk.

Well, considering that /usr contains just about all executables except
those that are needed at boot time you might want to reconsider that.

The standard places to look for executables are

/bin		- programs used during the boot process
/sbin		- privileged programs used during the boot process
/usr/bin	- all programs in a distro's optional packages
		  and extras
/usr/sbin	- all privileged programs in a distro's optional
		  packages and extras
/usr/local/bin	} these are where all non-distro programs should go,
/usr/local/sbin } i.e binary downloads and locally compiled programs.
		  This rule is commonly ignored though its a sensible
                  distinction.

So, in general, the /usr partition *should* be exec rather than  noexec.

Martin