[Wine] Which version of OpenGL is wine using?

Daniel Kasak daniel.kasak at 247realmedia.com
Mon Apr 27 21:19:08 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 18:51 +0000, James Huk wrote:

> Thanks once again, LAST question – if I get you all correctly, then graphics
> problems with ATI/Intel and other hardware are only driver related (well OK,
> maybe with Intel also HW related) or maybe mesa/dri itself is simply not up
> to the challenge?

There was a discussion along these lines in the 'open-source ATI' forums
on phoronix.com ...
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16585

Bridgeman ( AMD employee, the 'face' of AMD's open-sourcing effort )
answered the question of wine on open-source drivers:

1. Wine was originally written on NVidia cards and made some design
decisions based on the internal implementation of the NVidia driver,
which causes problems on any other driver even if the OpenGL
implementation of those other drivers is 100% correct. The
NVidia-specific aspects of Wine are being taken out over time, but it
does take time.

2. Wine relies on a number of OpenGL functions which no other app in the
world seems to use, not even compliance test suites. Nothing wrong with
that (although it`s a pain in the butt), however it means that Wine
relies on some of the least tested and least-exercised parts of the
driver. Again, this just takes time - as OpenGL bugs are found we fix
them, but identifying the specific OpenGL issues is the time-consuming
part. This is a relatively small part of the problem as far as I can
see, and I believe workarounds are in place for the open issues.

Dan