[Wine] Re: Squeezing every last drop of performance out of DirectX

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 28 10:58:49 CDT 2009

Brandon Mayes wrote:

> > I think you really should get a clean wine 1.1.20 prefix and reinstall
> >
> TF there without installing DirectX
>
> > (or anything else). Then try playing the game without applying all your registry tweaks (with
> >
> -dxlevel 81).
>
> > Then try applying those tweaks and see if it helps.
> >

> > Installing DirectX on Wine may create a little mess in your prefix, I'm afraid.
> >

> So if I were to do this -- what all is necessary?  Can I just run these 2 commands (I'm running Ubuntu 8.10)?
>
> # sudo apt-get autoremove wine
> # rm -rf ~/.wine
>
> I know there are going to be some menu entries left around in the gnome applications menu as well.  I can remove those (usually just deleting stuff from ~/.local/share).
>
> I guess I just don't know what you mean by prefix (I'm assuming you mean ~/.wine), nor do I really know why installing DirectX 9.0c would muck things up...Do you really think that installing DX9 is going to actually make performance worse?
>
> FYI, for anyone following this I did copy over the d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll files from my Windows partition and set the libraries to native.  First, the native d3d9.dll caused TF2 to crash as soon as I clicked to launch it (though Steam seemed to work fine), and while the native d3d8.dll file doesn't seem to cause any problems, it doesn't seem to perform any better than the builtin file.

> Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage.
> http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_042009
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Yes, that's all you need, to remove wine (if you want to install another version) and remove its folder, be sure to backup anything though. Also, remember that all your wine configuration will be lost. The prefix means exactly what you figured -- the user folder. You can have multiple prefixes in wine, by running wine with the WINEPREFIXCREATE env var (someone correct me if wrong, please), and then using that prefix with WINEPREFIX.

Installing DX9 might get some DLLs which use unimplemented functions, or expect certain functions to behave in a way, while wine does not exhibit that behavior. It's always good to try and keep things to the wine implementation, which knows exactly what to expect from its code. Additionally, some Wine functions that the native DX use could possibly be implemented in a low-performance way, while Wine's implementation uses others -- just to throw in some random coins at the issue.

I think you should never even do what you did with those DLLs, since it definetely will not work. I'm even surprised that you managed to run the game at all in dx8, I suppose that either wine used its builtin DLL or something very strange happened there.