[Wine] Orange Box on WINE (Mac OS X)

holden57 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Aug 2 12:28:55 CDT 2009

Hello, I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, or has tried this, but I am running WINE under Mac OS 10.5.7 on my MacBook and I'm trying to play the Half Life 2 Demo to see if it's worth purchasing Orange Box.

I've installed STEAM and I have no problem running that with WINE, but when I try to play the demo everything stops working. I enter the demo from STEAM, and I hear a sound, then everything turns whine except for my menu bar and dock. Then I don't hear anything. It's not as if my computer is not working, everything works fine, but WINE, which is not working.

When I hit Expose I can see a loading screen for the demo, but only for a second, so it seems like it's 'working' just not completely. After about two minutes of the nonsense, the demo seems to quit and I'm back at STEAM working fine again.

I don't know if anyone can answer my question, since most people hear are probably Linux users, but if anyone can help, that's much appreciated. Thank You!