[Wine] Sid Meier's Pirates! crashes consistently

peyre wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Aug 3 17:21:54 CDT 2009

I'm running Wine v.1.1.26 on Xubuntu 9.04 on a brand-new machine from IbexPC.  I installed Pirates, installed the 1.02 patch, and overwrote the executable with the No-CD exe.  I can get the game to open and run, and with the right settings, it runs really well--but only for a minute or two.  Then the game crashes with the following error:

The program Pirates!.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.  (Screenshot: http://www.geocities.com/navarre840/PiratesClose.png)

It does this every time I run the game, and always shortly after I start playing, but not immediately.  It happens in different mini-games, too: sometimes at sea, sometimes during combat, etc.

I've tried what I found on WineHQ, but nothing cleared this up.  I've also tried different OS and graphics settings in Wine, to no avail.  The last time I ran the game, I started it in a terminal window.  Here's a link to the resulting text: http://www.geocities.com/navarre840/PiratesFeedback.txt