[Wine] Wine Unbearably Slow

MrDelish wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Aug 4 21:37:26 CDT 2009

After using Wine without any significant hitches for over a year, I've just come across one. Every time I load any application (even winecfg), it takes between thirty seconds to one minute for it to load. During this time, normal functions take forever or don't work at all (selecting folders, opening a file, etc.). Sometimes it will load and work just fine, but often the program continues to wreak havoc by slowing down the system several minutes after closing the program. Based on some searching I did, I've attempted the following thus far:

- Upgraded Wine version from 1.1.24 to 1.1.26
- Changed a bunch of things in winecfg - OS emulation, disabled audio, unchecked the boxes for allowing the window manager to control the windows, emulated virtual desktop, yadda, yadda...
- Removed old software and some folders created during an attempt to get DirectX working in Wine
- Disabled all desktop effects
- Ran the commands for uninstalling per the FAQ, wiped out my ~/.wine and ~/.PlayOnLinux directories and installed v 1.0.1 fresh

Since the last step, I tested notepad and it seems to have the same problem. I plan on using bottles with PlayonLinux later to avoid these issues, but the loading times are killing me. Did I miss something in the steps I took?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have a Virtualbox running XP, but really prefer to keep my applications running in Wine whenever possible.