[Wine] wine on Debian sid

Crow wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 5 19:55:41 CDT 2009

Greetings.

I recently upgraded & dist-upgraded much to my consternation and was rewarded with a non-functioning Wine installation.

Now, I'm a Debian Freak since last millennium, so no need to put replies in an Ubuntu or newbie way, or go to great lengths explaining how things work.  No dis-respect intended.

I use Wine to run Noteworthy Composer, on which I rely allot.

I'm sure you may have seen this error box that I get every time I try to run winecfg or wineconsole cmd, etc:

 "It appears that libnss-mdns is installed on your system,
 but lib32nss-mdns is not. Please note that Wine will not be
 able to access the Internet unless you either install
 lib32nss-mdns, or uninstall libnss-mdns."

If I remember correctly, I do recall seeing that error in the past before and I would get a DOS box {or any windows app) running anyway.  The error is about reduced functionality, not a complete "failure to launch", as-it-were.

I'm on a 64bit machine, so it looks like the compile option is out of my time frame right now as it looks like, by the 64 bit page, that 64 bit wine is not quite ready for ./configure;make && make install.

So does anyone have a fix on this?  Or perhaps a link to a deb on a 64bit machine with libc 2.9 + ?

Thanks for any ideas.
Crow.