[Wine] Re: Wine on Leopard 32-bit with 64-bit memory addressing

tpatko wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 6 09:21:29 CDT 2009

Thank you for the reply.

I definitely cannot allocate more than 190MW per process (1520MB per process) for a program that is LARGEADDRESSAWARE (works perfectly under 64-bit Windows for large memory allocation).  For a 32-bit version of Windows this limit would be close to 256MW (2048MB per process).  Under a 64-bit version of Windows, this limit would be close to 512MW per process (4096MB per process).

I just updated my version to 1.1.21 as built by http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/ and this hard upper memory limit is still there.  I am looking to built or get a version of WINE for my Mac that can support the upper memory limit (get as close to 4096MB per process as possible).

Any ideas of why it cannot make the 64-bit memory allocations?  I understand that there is some overhead from the WINE itself running, but that would only trim a little bit from the available space.  For example as 190MW seems to be the practical 32-bit limit on WINE out of the theoretical 256MW (~74% of possible) if the same ratio exists for allocating 64-bit memory that would still allow me to address 3040MB per process (which would definitely help!).

Cheers,

Thomas