[Wine] Newbe: My system Compatibility

throbert wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 6 14:02:25 CDT 2009

Hi, I am looking for an alternative to Windoze and researching the possibility of a Linux distro with Wine OS for a VST plugin support.

My reason for doing this is Speed, efficiency and reliability

My current system includes:

ASUS P5Q-E LGA775 ATX
Motherboard, Intel P45 Chipset, Supports Intel Core 2 Extreme CPUs,
Dual DDR2 1200, SATA 3Gb/s RAID, CrossFireX Ready, PCI-E 2.0

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core Processor 2.4GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 8MB
ZALMAN CNPS8700 NT Copper Intel/AMD CPU Cooler

CORSAIR DOMINATOR with DHX Technology TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) DDR2 Memory

ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 XT AGP 8X 128MB DDR
Video Card w/TV-Out & Video-In
Zalman ZM-17Cu Silent Video Card Copper Heatsink

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer
Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JD 250GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer
2) Smart Drive 2002 Copper Cool, Quiet Hard Drive Enclosures

Pioneer DVR 212BK DVD Burner

I realize the ATI will need to be switched with an NVIDIA for lack of ATI support for drivers

I also have a MOTU Midi Timepiece connected by USB and will need driver support for it if at all possible

Appreciate any replies Thanks