[Wine] Re: [SOLVED] C&C Red Alert 3 - Lan (and also hamachi) play

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Aug 7 10:17:14 CDT 2009

MarcoBR wrote:

> Code:
> 1. First establish a VPN. I use a bridged VPN set up with OpenVPN. It works fine.
> The VPN client created a tap0 interface with the IP 11.0.0.3.
> 2. Re-route packets for 255.255.255.255 to your VPN interface (Here tap0)
> # route add host 255.255.255.255 dev tap0
> 3. In /etc/hosts, remove any reference to your hostname (TACHIBANA here) and, on the first line, add :
> 11.0.0.3 TACHIBANA
> 4. Compile this little hack made by Raphael : http://hughes.homelinux.org:8080/~raphael/bind_hack.tar.bz2 . On a 64 bits machine, here's how I compiled this little hack :
> $ cc bind_hack.c -o bind_hack.so -O2 -fPIC -Wall -shared -lc -nostdlib -m32
> 5. Launch RA3 with wine, while preloading this little hack.
> /path/to/RA3$ LD_PRELOAD=/tmp/bind_hack/bind_hack.so wine RA3
> 6. Connect on the Lobby and check if you see your friends.
> 7. Create a game, let the users connect, choose their team, ...
> 8. Launch the game
> 9. Play
> 10. ?????
> 11. Profit !
>

> Sorry for bumping this thread but, could you elaborate step 1?
> I'm trying to set up a bridged vpn with openvpn
>
> does it need ssl and such too?

The way you set up the VPN has nothing to do with Wine, I guess. I, for instance, use hamachi as the 'VPN'. So this questions isn't wine related and, even though I have never set up openvpn in my life, here's your "Best Friend":

http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+set+up+openvpn&btnG=Pesquisa+do+Google&meta=&aq=f&oq=

What this thing does is help Red Alert 3 find the other PC and actually connect to it, due to differences in the way Linux and Windows do things. As far as Wine is concerned, that's just another "interface".