[Wine] Re: [SOLVED] C&C Red Alert 3 - Lan (and also hamachi) play

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Aug 8 09:38:51 CDT 2009

MarcoBR wrote:

> jorl17 wrote:
> > I, for instance, use hamachi as the 'VPN'
>

> And that's exactly what I want. I though you need openvpn to make hamachi work?
>
> Sorry for the off topic, but this is kind of related since cnc3 can't see hamachi's IP.
>
> Could you kindly help me out with hamachi if yours work?
> If it's not related to wine you could PM me if you want, though i think many uses hamachi and would like to have it right with a game running on wine.
>
> Mine is running ok but cnc3 won't show the ip to change it as it does in windows.

Well, it's quite simple, actually. First, make sure you have Hamachi well setup. Install it from their website. IIRC you have to compile a module and then install it (make && sudo make install).

After that, remember that for each session you have to:

sudo tuncfg #Initialize tuneling module, only required once, AFAIK
hamachi start
hamachi login

Do not forget about:

hamachi go-online <network> #If you haven't gone online yet. I always forget about this.

After that, make sure Hamachi is working by pinging, using samba shares, or whatever your method is. I currently ask a friend to access my HTTP server via my hamachi IP to see if it works (his pretty windows firewall blocks pinging).

After having Hamachi open you only need to follow the above steps, exactly like the author wrote them (of course you will ue ham0 and not tap0) and I am not sure if you have to use sudo to execute route ad d (I think you don't).

Works like a charm over here, we never desync and we sure have fun trying to win on a 2vs1 (Human on Brutal) game.