[Wine] Hulu Desktop

hoyer801 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Aug 8 09:50:40 CDT 2009

I'm trying to get Hulu Desktop to work. I checked the App Database and apparently, it should work.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=16733

I noticed that since the person who did that entry mentioned git, that that may be the key. I followed the tutorial for installing wine-git.

The program installs with no problems, but upon launching, the video is lagging behind the audio and is somewhat choppy. The remote also does not work.

The same exact symptoms happen if I don't use git and just compile the newest version from winehq.

My guess is I have to enable the remote somewhere else first since I'm using a USB IR receiver with a windows mce remote. I'm a moderately experienced linux user, but very much a wine newbie. I'm not really worried about that part.

I checked top to see what was going on as far as processes. HuluDesktop.exe was ranging between 95 and 105% CPU, while wineserver was maintaining betwen 20-30%. Somehow, that seems a little off to me. On a similarly powered windows machine, HuluDesktop takes only about 15% cpu.

Hulu claims to be working on a native version for Linux, but I don't really want to wait.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.