[Wine] Crashing

A. Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 09:51:16 CDT 2009

Snake,

I have similar issues with Half-Life2 through Steam.  All other 3d
games, including GoldenSource engine games (HL1, etc) work fine.

I don't play it enough to upgrade my driver to beta, but that seems to
be the first thing that was suggested to you.
>  You can try with the latest beta 190.* drivers
>  That crash is in your video drivers.

Also note that those error messages you get during with the
precompiles stuff.... that's ok.  We all get them EVERY time.  Just
make sure to follow the driver installation guides by getting your
kernel sources installed.  It's a bit cumbersome, but if it gets you
playing your game, you'll be happy you did.  When that message shows
up, it just means it has to build your driver from scratch.  The
pre-built ones aren't up on FTP for Ubuntu users, so just ignore that
message.

NVIDIA drivers have been problematic for me with wine games for a
while, sometimes breaking things that worked for years... and usually
they work perfect in Linux so its hard to tell why the crash occurs.
I've asked the Wine forums/mailing list in the past too.

If it makes you feel any better, when I run any games running Steam's
Source engine, like HL2, I get both of your symptoms (crashes about 10
minutes after running, crashes when I exit).  I have to kill the X
server or pkill -9 wineserver to get my desktop back.  I'm running
Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit with KDE and desktop effects enabled.  I've forced
different DX levels as well and it doesn't make things better.

So, search around a little more about your problem, and even ask on
the nvidia boards.  http://forums.nvidia.com/.  In the end, that's
what fixed my HL1 issue.  Re-installing the driver from the beta in
the past has usually caused more grief than good, but if it fixed your
problem, run with it.  Also make sure to revert all of your changes,
because you want to be as "vanilla" as possible when you ask on the
nvidia boards. Good luck Snake.

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro at gmail.com