[Wine] No Runes of Magic with Wine 1.1.27

Kodama wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Aug 9 14:31:12 CDT 2009

Hello,

I just upgraded to the latest Wine Version 1.1.27. Unfortunately Runes of Magic won't start at all. I made a fresh installation, the startscreen (the one where you download patches) pops up and downloads the latest patches. When I click on the start button  the window closes and nothing else happens. Starting the game again won't even bring up the start screen anymore. Only an entry in my taskbar saying that runes of magic ist starting. But nothing happens and it closes after a few seconds.
(Someone in the german archlinux forum mentioned that Wine currently has some problems with the latest version of Gecko...could that be the reason?)

Another thing is that Runes of Magic has some problems with a 64bit kernel. I've been switching between the 32bit and the 64bit Version of archlinux a couple of times . While in the 32bit Version of arch the game was playable with previous versions of Wine (like 1.1.22), it could only be started once under 64bit. I've tried it a few times. I made a fresh installation of Runes of Magic and was able to start the game. But after rebooting my computer the game wouldn't start again.

Last thing concerns the low framerate. I've tried Runes of Magic under Windows Vista and it ran very smoothly. But with archlinux and Wine the game had a much, much lower framerate. Especially in or near cities the game was pretty much unplayable because I only had 2-3 fps.

Don't get me wrong guys, I think you're doing an awesome job in making it possible to run Windows games in linux. And I'm really looking forward to see these things fixed in future releases of Wine.
(and maybe someone could help me to turn the problems I've mentioned into a bugreport)

Greets