[Wine] Weired Sound Issues on Opensuse 11.1 and ALSA (Wine 1.1.26)

lemmi wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Aug 11 08:18:01 CDT 2009

Hello Everybody

I got some little issues with the sound. Logged in as my normal user - I've the testsound (winecfg) on the internal device. I can't change it.

If I log in as root I've the testsound on my external USB speakers (the way I would prefer it works).

I can't Imagine me - why there is a different between root and my normal user.

Please find below some details.

Code:
lemmi #linux-ibmc:~/Documents> uname -a
Linux linux-ibmc 2.6.27.25-0.1-pae #1 SMP 2009-07-01 15:37:09 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Wine Version:

Code:
lemmi #linux-ibmc:~/Documents> wine --version
wine-1.1.26

Groups:

Code:
lemmi at linux-ibmc:~/.wine> groups lemmi
lemmi : users audio dialout games pulse-rt video

Sound Cards:

Code:
lemmi #linux-ibmc:~/Documents> cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf9ff8000 irq 22
 1 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Sennheiser USB Headset
                      Sennheiser Communications Sennheiser USB Headset at usb-0000:00:1a.1-1, full sp
 2 [Speakers       ]: USB-Audio - Logitech Z-5 Speakers
                      Logitech Logitech Z-5 Speakers at usb-0000:00:1d.2-1, full speed

Code:
lemmi #linux-ibmc:~/Documents> cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_usb_audio
 2 snd_usb_audio

Code:
lemmi #linux-ibmc:~/Documents> aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Headset [Sennheiser USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: Speakers [Logitech Z-5 Speakers], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The user lemmi belongs to the group "rt-pulse".

Within winecfg below the audio tab I don't see either any audio devices or I see three times: dmix:0 doesn't matter with which user; like:

Code:
-  ALSA Driver
|  -  Wave Out Devices
|      |-
|      |-
|      |-
|  +  Wave In Devices

or:

Code:
-  ALSA Driver
|  -  Wave Out Devices
|      |-  dmix:0
|      |-  dmix:0
|      |-  dmix:0
|  +  Wave In Devices

Depends on the Soundcard configuration within Yast. Pulseaudio should be enabled - in root as in normal user environement (need to proof this again)

There is no difference if I start winecfg with padsp or without. With OSS I can choose the device - but the sound quality is very poor. For this reason I would prefer alsa on the USB speakers.

What could be the reason it works as root but not as normal user?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chhers

lemmi