[Wine] Printing from wine problem - loosing my hair

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Aug 15 05:44:04 CDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 11:11 -0500, ogardarsson wrote:
> I have a Ubuntu 9.04 minimalist setup runing on a XEN vps. I only
> installed a few things like Wine, NX, cups (and cups-pdf), XFCE4.
> Works like a charm in every way except printing from Wine. I can print
> from native Linux apps to PDF but I get an error in Notepad and any
> other wine running app for that matter, StartPage failed. There are no
> errors in the /var/log/error_log or any mention of the incident in any
> logs under /var/log/cups/

A previous thread pointed out that WINE expects to use a socket
connection to CUPS, so have you configured CUPS to listen for attempts
to connect via a socket? Its default is not to listen.

In my Fedora 10 setup (Gnome) you select Server|Settings and then, in
the Basic Server Settings dialog checking "Publish shared printers
connected to this system" should do it.

Martin