[Wine] Printing from wine problem - loosing my hair

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Aug 16 12:51:02 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 11:21 -0500, ogardarsson wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > Does mean you are using a text-only system or that you're using a different desktop, e.g KDE or XFCE?
>
> I have XFCE installed on this particular server but not Gnome.

Understood. I frequently run apps that way, but without using VNC to get
a remote desktop. I'm not fond of XFCE but have discovered two
disadvantages of VNC configuring it to use Gnome: (1) the colour is
terrible since VNC uses no more than 256 bit colour and (2) this messes
with the local X-term settings, though this may not bother you if you
don't use local logins: I do and every time I logged I was asked whether
I wanted to use Gnome or X-term display settings. Fortunately this
stopped when I upgraded from F8 -> F10.

Instead I just configure ssh to permit X11 forwarding and use an ssh
session to start remote GUI applications.

> Maybe I should just install [Gnome] and remove it later.

I suspect you'll end up doing that. I take it that you have no hosts
with KDE but no Gnome: it would be interesting to know if WINE printing
works with KDE.

>  I just don't know how it will go with the removal. Will I have a ton
> of libraries and stuff taking up space?

It might be useful to know how much space it occupies. Can you record
disk space used with 'df' before and after installing Gnome: the
difference must be the size of Gnome. I for one would be like to know
how much space Gnome occupies.

>  I guess I should test removing it on a test copy of a VPS to see how
> goes.

My guess is that removing Gnome again will stop printing from working.

Martin