[Wine] WINE and security devices (dongles)

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Aug 16 15:21:47 CDT 2009

I'd like to move my copy of TrueCAD to WINE. Its a well-behaved Win 95
program but uses anti-copy protection. It has a choice:

- TrueCAD defaults to writing a security code to a hidden part of the
  disk at a known place. This is one of those annoying plots that looses
  your security code if you defrag the disk.

  Am I right in assuming that this won't work with WINE even if I can
  prize a new security code out of the vendors (its a very old program!)
  or is there a winetrick or other workround to make the app think its
  looking at a genuine Windows C: drive while it checks the security
  code?

- to overcome the defrag problem TrueCAD can also use a parallel port
  dongle, which I've used with it for quite a while. Can applications
  running under WINE access these things? If so are there any
  restrictions? In particular, does CUPS block access to them?

Martin