[Wine] pulseaudio/wine question

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Mon Aug 17 11:30:08 CDT 2009

When people have audio trouble with programs in wine the first
suggestion is always to remove pulseaudio, I'm not questing that - it
often fixes the problem, but I do wonder if there are plans to make wine
and pulseaudio work better together?

Each new version of the major Linux distros seems to make pulse harder
and harder to remove without messing up the system. Outside of wine
pulse is great to keep installed for simplicity of audio management.

In wine, default install going to pulse instead of alsa/oss, pulse works
fine for all my game sound (WoW, CoH/V, Eve) it just falls over in
Ventrilo and Teamspeak (I use the windows version through wine because
the native Linux version has horrible sound quality).

Are there any plans to help wine and pulse get along, and/or is there
anyone working on this that we non-programmers can help by testing sound
out on our systems and sending info to?