[Wine] Can't install 1.1.27 from source-removed versions ruin it

zorgoth wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 19 00:05:19 CDT 2009

I am using Fedora 11 and the newest Wine on my repo is 1.1.23, in which my sound is bad, so I updated to 1.1.27.  As an experiment when I was running into a problem later, I downgraded it to a couple other versions of Wine, perhaps in an ill-advised way.  At first I couldn't install any Wine at all because they would all say something like:

wine client error:0: version mismatch 386/387.
Your wineserver binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?

I did a bit more cleaning up and I got 1.1.23 working as well as it ever has.  But any method I try of compiling 1.1.27 fails!  So what I want to know is what kind of places does Wine or my OS store things that might escape "sudo make uninstall" or "yum remove" to cause such installation errors as this?