[Wine] Re: Running a Windows dedicated server with Wine through ssh

s1dest3pnate wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 20 00:11:06 CDT 2009

vitamin wrote:

> s1dest3pnate wrote:
> > When I try to run it, Wine gives an error stating that the application tried to create a Window and tells me to make sure my X server is running and that $DISPLAY is correct.
>
> Even if your program doesn't create windows, it doesn't mean other parts of Wine don't need to create windows.
>
> Even hidden window is a window and some major parts of Wine do use them. There is no way around it. Say thanks to MS for great design...
>
> The only way you can get your program to run is with virtual X server.

Thanks. Now I have a much better understanding.

So, two questions.

1.) Is there an alternative to Wine that may work for what I am trying to do? If not, see question 2.

2.) What is the lightest virtual X server and how do I install it? I need the simplest/lightest thing available. I just want a virtual X server so I can use Wine for this one task.