[Wine] Error message when accessing a .tgz folder

Raymond Allinson theallinsons at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 24 15:42:06 CDT 2009

I have a backup file made under Ubuntu Hardy. When trying to read it
using Archive Manager under Ubuntu Jaunty, I get the following error
message:-

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
tar: Child returned status 1

The folder is large, 14.2 GB, though the files I want to access form
only a very small part,
I have copied the folder from its original location on an external hard
drive and it now sits, rather sullenly I fancy, in Documents.
How can I gain access to its contents?
Ray