[Wine] Winecfg: err alsa could not find PCM playback element

sgtmattbaker wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 26 18:50:19 CDT 2009

When I first install wine using the default repository in Ubuntu 9.04 and run winecfg I get the following error:

wine: created the configuration directory '/home/bill/.wine'
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x7d0049e8, overlapped 0x7d0049cc): stub
fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub
wine: configuration in '/home/bill/.wine' has been updated.
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:jack:JACK_drvLoad error loading the jack library libjack.so.0, please install this library to use jack

Then I ran it again and it did this:
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:jack:JACK_drvLoad error loading the jack library libjack.so.0, please install this library to use jack

Then I installed jackd and ran it again. It brought up the wine window and I had no messages printed in the terminal. Then when I clicked on the audio tab I got this:
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element

and the dialog box inside the wine window kind of froze up/messed up graphically.