[Wine] Mappery : uncertain Thinkpads (Repost?)

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Aug 27 15:03:29 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 16:17 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

.../...

> 	I have three Garmin GPSs (an Etrex Vista and two Rino 120s),
> which I want to use under Fedora 11 Linux with four PCs, and two IBM-
> reconditioned Thinkpads, T30 & T42.
>
> 	Garmin software suites (Metroguide USA and Topo US 2008) are
> installed on all the computers; both of them launch and run under Wine on
> all six. Both of them also connect, consistently, to the GPSs from the
> PCs.

Have you checked the access permissions on the serial device that is
created when the Cardbus Serial Adapter is plugged in? If they're wrong
you'll need to write a local extension UDEV rule and add it to the UDEV
rule set in /etc/udev/rules.d. It needs to set the /dev/ttyUSB*
permissions so your user can read and write to these ports. I've
described this in the past, so look in the maillist archives to find out
how to do this.

If you don't know the device name, run

code:	sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

before you put the Cardbus card in its slot. Then stick it in and you'll
see its assigned name written to the syslog as F11 recognises the new
device.

Make sure that /etc/sudoers allows you to run tail from your user before
you try this! Run visudo under root to change /etc/sudoers as necessary.

=======
I had a similar problem using a serial connection between an EW flight
recorder and the EW Uploader, a Windows program, on an old IBM NetVista
(the PIII, 866 MHz version, initially running Fedora 8 and WINE 1.1.9,
now upgraded to Fedora 10 and wine 1.1.23.

I used a USB-Serial adaptor rather than a cardbus card, but the
principle will be the same - only the device name will differ. I used a
MCT U232 converter, supplied by pfranc. It showed up as /dev/ttyUSB0
under both sets of software. The EW Uploader does not see this device
and so cannot connect to the flight recorder with either set of software
regardless of whether I aliased it in dosdevices or not. WINE claims
that serial adapters are the only USB device it can use so this may not
be a WINE problem and the same may well apply to Cardbus serial
adapters.

I've tried programming serial ports under DOS/Windows in the past and
its a nightmare: there's so little support for them from Microsoft that
applications developers are reduced to buying a third party serial comms
package or rolling their own starting from the bare hardware. The BIOS
provides no support either. I ended up using Willies Software's COM-DRV,
which worked very well. Bottom line: its entirely possible that your
applications are using some roll-your-own serial port interface that
doesn't recognise the serial adapter.

I solved my problem by adding a vanilla 4 port PCI card to the NetVista
(/dev/ttyS[01] have other permanent uses). The Uploader works just fine
with this setup, seeing all 6 serial ports on the machine, and finding
and connecting to the flight recorder when its plugged into any spare
port and switched on.

Martin